The ripen rice season in 2011, 15C road from Co Luong through Pu Luong nature reserve zone had been opened almost finished, some sections were not paved, of course, if it rained, it would have become a formidable challenge for the drivers . The road through Dong Dieng was no longer seen pebble interfered with grass anymore, and no longer seen the small pretty trails running zigzag on grassland as in the past. The road is so large that it took less than an hour to reach the Pa Kha’s junction. It took us 5 hours to move one year ago because of the rain and damaged vehicles.
We denied the enticement of a “backpacker” group who were climbing Pu Luong peak and continued our journey towards Kho Muong. The road was unpaved and not large immensely, it became steep, rocky, narrow made tourists many times startling, though already very concentrated.
Kho Muong Village is located in a fairly wide valley and surrounded by mountains as bulwark. The Thai’s house-roofs which are roofed with simple palm, scattered on stream sides. Going along the stream, you will arrive Kho Muong fields where rice are turning green, and after next two weeks, they will be yellow ripe. Farmers will happily go together to harvest and bring back home.
At the end of the trail across paddy field is Hang Doi (Bat Cave) where relatively untouched to explore with many visitors. From Bat Cave, visitors can take a panoramic view over immense Kho Muong field among row on row of mountain’s green color. If you intend to explore Bat Cave, let prepare thoroughly all dedicated fixtures. Bat Cave was formed by the old limestone blocks grown from 250 million years ago, the cave has at least four species of bats have ever lived.
With many foreign tourists, Kho Muong is an ideal starting point for Pu Luong trekking. We wandered on the field to play and breathe the pure atmosphere with fugacious fragrancy of ripe rice which would leave before the rain arrived. A thunder rain from Dong Dieng through Kho Muong chased and caught all of us on the trail of leaving the village. It was a forest rain.
The trail connects Kho Muong to Uoi Village – Pho Doan which is about 7 km long, took us nearly three hours to be hard to move because the road after the rain became slimy and slippery. The rain stopped at what time to we didn’t know. My friends only said loudly “oh oh” when they looked down from high above the field of Quan Village. The velvety soft rice carpets look floating like waves. The houses here are strangely peaceful to strangers, vague blue smoke appear on thatched roofs in the afternoon.
The afternoon sun was gradually turned off. The mountain ranges became dark melancholy. Uoi Village’s rice fields were ripen golden – a yellow color of prosperous and sufficient scenery. We went like adventuring among the golden rice sea, really relieved, happy and peaceful.
The afternoon wind after the rain was cool, the house roofs loomed behind the palms while the sunset was pouring colors of bright pink, floral display purple on the sky. How I could forget those moments, when my friends stopped the car and together boiled a pot of warm coffee while waiting for twilight. The stories, the smiles, the faces … that moment, that minutes had become nice memories that I could forget.
Information for your adventure trip to Pu Luong Nature Reserve:
- Pu Luong Nature Reserve lies to the West of Thanh Hoa province, on the land of two districts of Quan Hoa and Ba Thuoc. It is a tourist destination preferred by many tourists who like to explore and experience.
- The most common way to reach this destination is moving by motorcycles and make the short trekking trip depending on the duration and schedule of travelers.
- Specialties of this place are “rice” and “villages”. The best time to visit is in mid of June and October yearly at the time of ripen rice.
- The trekking routes: Duom Village – Hang Village – Eo Ken – Pa Ban – Dong Dieng – Kho Muong. From Kho Muong, you can follow the route 4 of the Muong of Pon Village – Thanh Cong – Cao Hoong – Kit Villge. From Nua Village (Ba Thuoc), you can go the route of Cao Village, Trinh Village, Hin Village, Bo Village, from these villages, there is a trekking route to Son – Ba – Muoi. From Dong Dieng, you can climb high peaks over 1700 meters of Pu Luong.
- Motels: Sleeping in ecological stilt houses of the Thai, Muong in Mai Chau (Lac village, Poong Com village), in the core area of Pu Luong, you can stay in villages such as Dong Dieng, Kho Muong, Nua Village, Cao Hoong or Kit Village. The cost is about 70.000 VND/person (~ $3/person).
- Eating: The Thai like grilled food to ensure the quality and taste of the dish. You remember enjoying chicken, duck, roast, pork with sour young bamboo, bitter young bamboo, forest sauropus androgynous soup, bamboo-tube rice
- Expecting time: 2.5 days (weekends). This cost above is below $70/person.